We are now into February. How is 2022 treating you? After six weeks into the new year, have you discovered that you want to change some of your annual goals?
Thank you to everyone who purchased “The Patient Advocacy Handbook: Empowering You to Boldly Navigate the Healthcare System.” And a special thanks to those who wrote Amazon reviews. Sales are good and I’m beginning to get invitations to speak.
On February 8th, I was a guest on a podcast. I’ve spoken to Pensacola North Rotary. My message of advocacy is being well received.
Prepare To Be An Advocate
Here is a four-step strategy to prepare to be an advocate. Whether you are a Leader Advocate, Patient Advocate or Self Advocate these steps will help you prepare.
- What exactly is the issue?
- What is my goal? What exactly do I want?
- What are the facts I know?
- What have I observed?
- Information gathering
- Do I need more facts?
- Who are the decision maker that I need to influence?
- Are there other people who can help me?
- Break down and analyze the problem or issue
- Educate yourself
- Develop a goal and strategy to address the problem or issue
- Solution Analysis
- What are some solutions?
- What are the barriers? Who will the solution offend?
- What do I expect the other side to do?
- Why is the other side acting like they are acting?
- Are they following a rule or policy?
- Acknowledging the other side’s viewpoint shows that you appreciate the other side’s needs and help maintain the relationship.
- What can I live with if a complete resolution is not reached?
- Who can I trust to help me? Why? Build your case.
- Document, document, document
- Get copies of laws or regulations
- Plan how you are going to phrase your words before talking to someone.