BETSY’S RULES FOR LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
RULE # 1 YOU GET TO CHOOSE
You always have a choice. I hear women say, “I didn’t have a choice.” Yes, you always get to choose. And when you choose remember three things:
1. When you choose you are owning and asserting your power. Don’t let someone else make choices for you.
2. With every choice there is a result or results. Make sure that you are willing to live with the positive or negative results.
3. Here three examples of everyday choices we makea. To be positive or negativeb. To be angry or joyfulc. To try or not to try
RULE # 2 STOP APOLOGIZING
In my FB Live I discussed many times that women apologize when there is no need. Here are some techniques to implement to Stop Apologizing.
1. Ask yourself is it really worth an apology? Catch yourself before you say “I’m sorry.” Take a few minutes to evaluate such as, “did I do something wrong?”
2. Change your vocabulary. Say “I’m sorry” can be as common as “ums”. Increasing yout awareness can lead to replacing “I’m sorry” with “excuse me.” You are still communicating effectively.
3. Ask for more clarification. Instead of “I’m sorry, I don’t understand,” Ask questions until you get answers.
- “Can you clarify that for me?”
- “Can you elaborate?”
- “Can you provide further explanation?
4. Know your worth. You are awesome! When you know your self worth and when you believe that you are a great person, you apologize less.
5. Turn your apology into a thank you. Instead of saying “I’m sorry for being such a disappointment, say “Thank you for always believing in me.” Thanking people gives you – and them – a reason to smile.